Monday, November 15, 2010

Improving

I don't think I have ever written about my struggles and attempts to eat in a healthy manner. At age 57 I have  had to make a choice: feel miserable or learn to eat the way I should have been eating all my life.
I can't tell you how hard this is for a person who basically loves sugar and bad fat and eats most of these items between the hours of 5pm and bedtime.
They say it takes a long time to change habits.
This must be what it feels like to quit smoking?
I've been working on it for the last 5 months.

I'm actually pretty proud of myself. I'm cooking and eating more veggies than I thought possible. And I like kale!?! I've discovered that most veggies taste much better to me in a raw state. I'm into my green smoothies every am and I (mostly, I have had a few slips) don't eat after 6pm.
I just made a batch of what a friend calls "dirt food" cookies. They are mostly oats, banana, and almond meal with vegan carob chips and taste quite good.

I could never have learned these things without the enthusiasm and support of Ms. K. Thank you a zillion. You are a very good example and teacher.



6 comments:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

Janice! Good for you and I am so proud of you. It's it a great feeling to do something like this for youself. :) A few years ago I did the south beach diet and lost 30 pounds and it was great learning how to each and how much.

kristin said...

i am so proud of what you've accomplished in these months, but i don't want you to see your life up until this point as being "wrong" if you do, then i have carte blanche to view certain aspects of my life that way and i know you would get on me about that!!!

i thing the "dirt food" is good! you can feed those cravings in a better way! think of the components of what you crave(much like the components of a painting) and eat their "non 7-11" equivilent.

first dessert: one avacado, 1-2 tbs. agave, 2-3 tbs cocco powder, a few grains of salt. combine in your new fancy food processor for pudding!!! it's a little better if you can let it sit in the fridge for a bit. it's not "low-calorie" but the fats in avocado are really, really, really good for you(and help w/ weight loss, but that is not the focus here). top w/ some banana slices, and/or chopped nuts/dried fruit....

Toby said...

Me too. First for me is no cookies when I shop. Buying veggies how novel. Good for you.

Unknown said...

WOW Kristin...can you be my food guru too?

J La, you are perfect just the way you are. Nothing that has been true in the past is unimportant or "not good". You know, the whole dang thing is a process. You inspire me!

Is there such a thing as veggie beer?

Janice La Verne said...

Thanks everyone!
Shelly, you'll have to ask Kristin about veggie beer!

tangled sky studio said...

yay you! i have to get on the no snaks at night train : )

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.