Thursday, August 22, 2013

"Do you think about Pompeii?"


I do think about Pompeii now and then. I thought about it a lot when I was making these 6 figures out of plaster cast material that Ginger brought home from the hospital. I think about those casts that captured people at the exact moment of death. I was reading about this and the newest research shows that they died instantly from heat (about 400 degrees)

Now, I'm sure dear reader that you didn't want to know all these facts, but since I only makes something with 3 dimensions once a year... well it had to have some story attached to it.

This is my piece for the MECCA object afterlife challenge. The folks at MECCA give you a piece of "junk" and you have to make something out it. My "junk" was a big spool. I used the cardboard cylinder and one of the ends to make the base.
 
It's good to stretch oneself. I HATED trying to get the whole thing to stand up, but I loved making the lumpy figures. Is it good? Did it meet the challenge? I have no idea and I don't think it matters. I have to admit it was fun, messy, good fun...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Janice: I have been to Pompeii and I think you did an awesome job of capturing it! (Alice)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.