Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Latest Inspiration

I'm working on a painting that will have a monk holding a moray eel.
Why? I'm thinking about creatures who look frightening and yet do not have that intent. Like eels and octopus.
And I'm thinking about Father Junipero Serra walking up and down the California coast founding missions and thinking he was doing something good. In the third grade I made a sculpture of Father Serra out of a detergent bottle. I dressed it and gave it a clay head and made him little glasses out of tape and wire. And Father Serra has been on my mind ever since.
One thing leads to another.
It's raining and it's so nice.
I have to go to work tomorrow and I only want to paint.
And if none of this makes sense... well that's ok, it's just how I go about being an artist.


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.