Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Jentel Residency Post #4 and what did you make?


I got to Jentel and just felt tired.
Knowing what a gift this time was I, like all my fellow residents didn't want to waste time. 
The Jentel staff reminded us there was no expectation to produce, rather the goal was to renew ourselves and enjoy the connections we were making. (that was easy!)


I put up 12 flour sacks and stared at them and said "oh well, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'll just start". I realized I missed my wood panels. I have grown used to the process of paint/sand/paint/sand and work on paper felt very difficult. 


I worked in this confusion state for about 2 weeks. And then things started to happen. Funny at the end of the residency all of us said the same thing, that we needed another week as the work had just begun to roll, click and come together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you still working on them now that you're home? LG

Janice La Verne said...

hey, LG, I'm not sure... not sure the place they hold in the process now... but I do like finding them and cleaning out the flour and getting the three parts of them!!!

Kelly Newcomer said...

Love the flour sack works!
Keep up the great work!
What a beautiful wide open space out there in Wyoming at Jentel.

Susan Detroy said...

Janice,, hello, and congrats on the residency adventure. do you have jpgegs of all the pieces you created on the flour sacks? there might be a place for one or more depending on imagery ~~~ in the show coming up at David Joyce in January, if you are interested. Next show is about places between farm and table.. we have some pieces about flour mills and grocery bags,,,, just thinking.. in any case.. fun to see your work .. best Susan

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.