Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Being Yourself


Probably every sentence I write should have the word DUH after it because all this is so obvious. But not to me. At age 60 I'm just putting the pieces together about what makes our efforts valuable to ourselves and to the world.
Here is my line. It is most always "off". Notice the shoulder is a bit wonky. Still it is my line and no one elses. It has taken me my whole life to embrace the way I draw and appreciate the way my line moves hither and yon (nice phrase).
I used to hate my line. I wished it were like Craig's or Lynn's or my sister's or Ginger's. Ginger can draw a building that looks like a building every time. 
But I am left with my line.
When I draw and it's not working I have a secret phrase that puts me in the right place every time. I tell myself "Draw with love". It takes it away from the ego. When I draw from that place I feel happy and appreciative that I'm drawing. 
I think it must be the same for any artistic endeavor. When I think about singing I think about those singers who have their own voice. Like Willie Nelson. Or Louis Armstrong. Or Dean Newman.
I appreciate all of us who are doing our best to love our line whatever form it takes.


1 comment:

dean said...

I hear you, sister. I struggle all the time with loving my "line." It helps somehow that John Lennon hated his own voice.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.