Sunday, April 12, 2015

I moved... from a big house and a separate 400 square foot studio. I had lots of room. I kept everything. EVERYTHING. It was easier to keep things than to deal with the emotions that arose when I tried to let go of them. Mostly guilt... guilt that someone gave me that and how could i give away anything that G. gave me? Guilt...how could I throw away letters that my sister took so much time and caring energy to write? Uneasy guilt...well I bought that and even if I no longer like it I should keep it, and worst of all ART... my flat files are full and my walls are overflowing.

And then we moved.

I have a choice. I could live surrounded by boxes and piles and a storage place to pay rent on or I could get rid of about half of what I own.

In Marie Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, she asks the reader to envision what kind of life they would like to lead, what their ideal environment would be, how that environment would make them feel.

The disparity between my MASS OF STUFF and a small house that is spacious, clean, a welcoming place to have tea with friends, a haven is at the moment still large. But... it's getting better!

Yesterday I went through my clothes which wasn't too hard since I buy most of them at the thrift store anyway. They are neat and orderly and well... happy. And I feel happy looking at them. I found my favorite work pants...

today my goal is the pile of boxes in the corner of my studio and putting away the shop vac (sounds small I know, but it's been in the house for weeks... how these odd things stop us???

There is something powerful about downsizing and getting rid of what you don't need. It frees you up to be in the here and now and move forward. 


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.