Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Winter List



The rainy season has begun.

A few years ago K told me about her winter list. A list about embracing the season rather than meeting it with dread, even knowing light deprivation and depression could be right around the corner. I remember feeling kinda shocked the first time we talked about it, it was as if all my prior suffering gave me a right to view the cold, dark, season as the enemy and never notice what is wonderful about it. Native Northwest folks don't seem to agonize in the winter. They just put on their rain gear and take it in stride. (or so it seems to me) So, here is my list of cold weather likes and if you want to read K's go to her blog on my links: smarter than da vinci. 

1. Halloween. I love Halloween and I love decorating for Halloween. Costumes and kids and winter squash, and most important my connection to my sister comes with Halloween.

2. The way color looks like against grey. A bit of red against the all grey days, beautiful.

3. Snow, even though we only get a little. What LA gal does not rejoice at real snow!

4. Polar Fleece vests and pjs. I like winter clothing too, baggy and comfy. 

5. Strings of little lights indoors, little white lights, colored lights.

6. Having a Christmas tree all decorated and sitting around looking at it.

7. Hot tea, every type.

8. Cafix (don't know this one? It's like Postum, a grain beverage, yummy with a bit of honey and milk. Feels like  coffee, but in no way tastes like it)

9. Raking leaves, I really like raking leaves.

10. Being cozy in the house with G. Listening to the sounds rain makes. 

Tomorrow is Sunday and I'm going to play in the silkscreen studio for the first time this term. I have no idea what i'll do tomorrow, just get set up mostly...


 





2 comments:

kristin said...

i was feeling the rain today too...
i loved reading your list! makes a great reference for cheer-u-up packages!

tangled sky studio said...

Hi Janice,
I love winter. It is the time of year when my house really becomes a home. It gets dark very early (4pm) but with a pot of soup on the stove and a fire in the woodburning stove my house becomes a haven. Winter seems less rushed and I always seem to fins a bit more time to knit or read because many days there is no outside time ....and i LOVE snow days!!! In fact last night I made a savory (not sweet)winter squash bisque that I hadn't made in a few years...YUM! If your interested in the recipe email me at bethbillups@yahoo.com. Congrats on all your efforts to turn some things around in your life...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.