Thursday, March 26, 2009

Doing the Work




I really like this "3" painting.

"Doing the work" is the theme of my life lately. At my job I spend a chunk of time teaching which mostly is lots of fun. I've made the material, and then I stand up and try to put it across in an entertaining way. And then there is the other chunk which is just plain work.

My job is to take ideas and needs, do research and make a learning tool. And... every single time I start by getting overwhelmed before I finally settle down and tackle the job at hand. I've had to learn how to be organized and not have piles of paper everywhere. It hasn't been easy. It's not my nature.

Today I got "Handmade Nation" from the library. It's all about people making a living from their craft. The first article I read stated everything I have been dealing with in art and work life. That to succeed you have to be an artist, designer, business manager, account, customer-service representative, publicist, writer and website programmer. And that all this takes a lot of internal motivation. And the other quality the author added was optimism.

I think the only things that come naturally to me in the above list are artist and optimism. The rest are all an act of faith and hard work.

My painting mantra is "I can make this work". And with that, let the next 4 days off work (at the hospital) begin!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.