Now what? There are 105 coasters, paintings on both sides, various sizes.
I feel good that I completed what I set out to do. and confused about what possible action could come next.
I thought I knew what came next. I thought each coaster would hang on it's own peg and the viewer could arrange them however they wished to.
I thought it might be a good entry for the Mayor's Art Show. This is a juried show
here in Eugene that gets about 600 entries each year. It is very well attended and when you say "I have a piece in the Mayor's Art Show" people look at you like you are a real artist and not faking it. Every year the Mayor's Art Show seems to bring up all my bad feelings about competition and failure. Thinking about entering reminds me of my stash of carefully wrapped paintings under the bed. When you don't compete and you don't enter then you don't have to think about failure.
I could submit a painting I guess. It feels safer. Not like submitting 2 years of work (and fun and satisfaction). Or I could not submit anything. I need to ask Lynn. She will ask me the correct questions.
So... since I have no answers I will go back to painting today.

3 comments:
sometimes it helps to know who the jurors are. do they pick more traditional artists work as opposed to those with unusual work? (i vote for the coasters) one thing i have learned is that the artist has no control over what the jury thinks is good. angela didn't get picked for a big award here in town and of the four that did get picked, two of the artists work was not interesting at all, at least to me. so going in with the idea that if you are not picked and that has something to do with you might be a set-up for you. i know that is an obvious statement but really, jurors are notoriously hard to judge.
i hope i haven't been too preachy here ms. j la. maybe i should have just said the i love the coaster project, whether or not it goes to live in an art show for a bit.
It's beautiful!
I hope you enter it.
Your coaster quilt is incredible! I have no idea how much work it will be to hang it, but do enter, so I can stare at each one, and the whole. You are amazing. It's not about winning or judging but about moving forward, pushing through and enjoying the work. Love you.
Post a Comment