Sunday, May 10, 2009

Grass Pollen

If you aren't allergic to grass pollen you might want to stop reading here.
And if you don't live in Oregon you might not know that the Willamette Valley grows 90% of the world's grass seed. The city I live in has more allergists per capita than anywhere in the US.
And... I am so allergic to grass pollen. This time of year the most important bookmark on my computer is www.pollen.com. It gives me kind of a sick satisfaction to see our zipcode listed day after day as number one or two in the nation for the highest pollen count.
So, what this means to me is (here comes the rant):

1. At the most beautiful time of the year if I go outside I should wear a mask and really shouldn't go outside at all.
2. I miss gardening.
3. (the worst) I'm so tired and low energy, like today... I have a headache and my nose runs constantly and if things get really bad I'm short of breath.
4. I can't walk (my main form of exercise).

What helps? Well, if you are also an allergic sufferer try a complete hose off each night including hair. Change your pillowcase every night so you don't sleep in the pollen. And stay indoors, or... get out of here and go to the coast!!!

When I think of retiring in 5-7 years the allergic season is the main reason I don't want to live here. I want to live at the coast where the breezes blow the small amount of pollen out to sea...
ahhh....

Ok, thanks for listening. I hope all the mothers out there have a wonderful day and know that you do the most important work on the planet, raising conscious and loving children. I applaud you. And to all the pet moms who rescue and love our four legged creatures, kudos to you also. It's a good day, despite pollen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh jla. bummer about the pollen cloud. i don't have the problems you do, maybe because i live near the coast? but certainly can imagine how you must feel. i vote for the coast as well... much less hot too! looking forward to seeing you this summer! s

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.