I know I make paintings because I want to tell stories. This man in a jacket reminds me of my father during WWII, overseas, communicating with my mother only through letters for 3 years. It's only now that I'm an older adult that I realize how frightening those times must have been. And who was that husband who came home? A closed stranger with so many secrets.
It may have not been that way at all, but that is how it looked to me and why this painting is what it is.

3 comments:
wow, just wow! i love it and i sensed that story before even reading it. great work:)
after you were looking at my site when we talked the other day, i've decided that you need a place online where i can go and see all of your finished pieces! i think the web service i use has a "student" package that's free, but only allows you do display up to 20 images though. but you'd have a website! or maybe having a set on your flickr page? what do you think?
xoxox
hmnmmm. i just looked and it looks like they don't have the free option anymore:(
i love the painting, sister. it's amazing--you know wendy had all her father's v-mail to her mom and made a poem out of them that got published somewhere in a journal dedicated to literature about war--i didn't include it in 'my last door', i think because it was so long--i'll find it and e-mail it to you soon. did i tell you i love the painting? ;^) i think linda hall would like it too--do you two correspond at all? she's in london right now but e-mailing and chatting occasionally--i think she feels like she lost her dad to war also, though he's still alive but estranged. l, d.
Post a Comment