Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Angel Dog



I don't make the claim that Monty is an angel lightly. (It seems to me that the angel kingdom is much more likely to be populated with animals rather than humans.) Monty is simply the sweetest, most responsive creature I have ever met. Monty (Montero) came from the greyhound rescue. After my welsh corgi Max died I went reluctantly with Ginger up to the Portland racetrack to get him. I wasn't "ready" for another dog so soon after Max. I was so wrong. When we got to the kennel we could hear all the dogs barking which is so interesting because we have only heard Monty bark a couple of times in the last 3 years. He is a silent fellow. Anyway, the volunteer brought him out, 3 years old, arms and legs flying all over, jumping up and down with joy to be out of his kennel. G and I looked at each other and wondered if this wild creature was for us. The minute we started to walk he settled down and has been the perfect gentleman ever since.

Greyhounds live in cages stacked on top of each other and are in those cages 21 out of 24 hours a day. Most greyhounds have a serious injury sometime in their career. (Monty broke a foot). There are never enough adoptive homes for greyhounds. If a hound doesn't do well they can be sold to Mexican racetracks where conditions are much worse. If I had lived through that life I do not know if I could be as kind and sweet to all as Monty. To bring a creature home who has never lived in a house, does not know how to climb stairs and doesn't understand toys and treats breaks your heart.

But not for long... Monty is 6 now. He loves sleeping on couches and beds. He's learned to lick a yogurt container (yum). He can eat a cookie without it falling out of his mouth in crumbs. He climbs stairs like a pro. He loves squeaky toys and throws them in the air with joy. He loves the children in his life. He shares the bed with 2 cats and Simon the fuzzball.

Monty is my hero. And he is an angel. Just look at the picture.

2 comments:

kristin said...

i know monty is my friend, even if he doesn't like to play with me. xo jasper

kristin said...

i think rescue dogs know they have been rescued and are very thankful. except when SOMEbody i know eats a bag of whole foods chocolate chip cookies while i'm at the gym. or maybe he was making sure i wouldn't be tempted by them!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.