Friday, April 3, 2009

Interesting Dilemmas


Hooray, it's Friday! I spent 3 hours at the dentist, so it feels like my weekend time is now starting. I have 6 of these xerox paintings started now, and I get to the same spot with them each time. The above photo is 2 paintings.

I'm trying to preserve the sense of transparency and the sense that the black line sits on top. It all seems to work until I paint too much. Then they lose their spontaneous quality, but to leave them here, at this stage... they feel not complete.

I hope this has a lot to do with the difference between opaque and transparent layers and which belongs where. Regardless, I think I'm on to something, some piece of painting learning that I've been needing and missing.

Any feedback welcome and appreciated. You won't hurt my feelings!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I said before, I know nothing about art, but as for these two, I like the upper left the best. I can see the windows and the book, and as books are the windows to the world, I like the symbolism, regardless of what it really means. Mona

Toby said...

Okay, the left one looks like the person is in the foreground, whereas the right side he is retreated behind. I see it as the left guy is reading and his imagination is what appears behind him. He is still active.
The second one appears to be absorbed by the blackness infront, (almost like when a person watches tv) They are both very interesting and I would suggest you play with the layers. Toby

Frances said...

OKay...I'm not an art critic but really like both of them...graduation of colours - they just both look so interesting. The person reminds me a bit of the poet Philip Larkin.

Thanks for stopping by wishthimble. Glad to find your blog. Cheers, Fran.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.