Thursday, April 30, 2009

Finding Time

BC asked me where I find the time to paint and draw and blog and take care of houses and dogs and spend time with friends and Ginger... what a good question???
I can answer by saying I don't think I do such a good job of it. A few weeks ago I checked out a DVD from the library on how to get organized. Problem was: every time I tried to watch it I fell asleep. One thing I did hear was to "team clean with other people, one room at a time". Well, I latched right on to this as I don't really like to clean, but love a neat and tidy house. Ginger thought this was very funny and started calling it "couples cleaning". But once in a while we try to manage our mess this way and it is faster.

One thing I have finally learned is that art takes my "best" time. It needs the time of the day when I am energized and centered, not so great after a day of work. I have found that if I work in the studio in the morning on my days off the whole day feels better.
And then there is just hanging on to my art time. We live in this world where everything claims our attention and it's easy for me to "give away" my art time. I want to please everyone and saying no is hard. I'm working on this.

And... I always carry a sketchbook in my bag and the "right" pen, a uni-ball, fine, waterproof roller ball. If I'm waiting for something: take out, bus ride, waiting for G. running errands, well, I just draw and then I feel accomplished.

These little drawings were done in the airport and at the conference.

Hope this all helps someone. Managing my time and keeping clutter out of my life are constant struggles, but worth the effort. When my parents died I got it that I only have one life and it's up to me to figure out how to make it what I want!

And I have lots of wants: girlfriend, family, friends, art, a home, work, and health and probably a bunch more. Thanks for the good question BC!!!

4 comments:

Toby said...

thank you for your answer. Truly inspiring. I too need to do what I like early so the day is good. Great sketches too. Toby

Liz Tran said...

It's always a balancing act. I have found that art-making usually takes more energy, effort, etc... than just about anything. My priorities right now are relationships and making my work. This means that I have a fairly messy house, my car gets washed once a year and my dog isn't the most well trained beast on the planet. Oh, and I usually sport a bit of a gut because painting comes before working out. I really do with there were more hours in the day but I suppose we can't have it all, right?
I'm still trying to get the balance right and I'll probably spend the rest of my life working on that... But for now life is still pretty dang good.

Aggie said...

I love your sketches and your person with short arms. Zorro is howling, dementia howling. I guess it's time for one of his favorite tranquilizers(heater blowing hot air or food)

Unknown said...

i think you are doing great j la. i do know work, even if we like it, pokes holes in the old energy stream. at least it does for me.
love your sketches.....i love the simple lines. very zen.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.