Monday, September 1, 2008

I want this...



I want. 

I want to go away for a month and make art and talk about art with other people who are also making art. Ever since my friend L went to Vermont Studio Center for a month and I read her blog about it, well, I want to go to a residency too. Why?

There are lots of reasons to apply to and hope for acceptance in an artist residency. It could be recognition, or financial (some even pay a stipend to attend).

Been thinking about what the real "reason" is for me. Bottom line: I want to have a period of time where I do not lose my train of thought or action from day to day. The analogy of reading works perfectly here. How many times have you started a book, gotten distracted and then when the time came to pick up the book again you had to start over? I get started and then I have to go to work, and that world swallows up my energy and focus and the air sizzles out of me and I have a flat tire for a mind. (and I like my job!)

I can't seem to apply to any of the 80 plus programs described in my library book. I think I am not "good enough" or I don't have any art education degree, or no one will like me because I am too old, or I haven't had any shows in any place of significance... and on and on. And then all of a sudden I am thinking, "not a real artist". 

This is so me at age 6, 7, 9 and 12 and all points in between. Add 13 through 16 and points beyond. K, I'm borrowing your sweet photo of my little figures because I think they are saying: "now, that's silly". The clown in the red hat is solemnly saying: "don't go there, please".  And the hoppy creature with the red tail wants to know what the fuss is about and who cares what anyone thinks of you if you have friends. 

Has anyone out there like me done this? Advice? If I don't do something through an existing agency I will have to create my own "month"... 

comments very welcome.

4 comments:

Michele Maule said...

You should do it.

All the self doubt and insecurities can really hinder our future sometimes. I never thought I could make a living making art, but I decided to pursue an art degree anyway, because it was the only thing I actually loved to learn and do.
After I graduated I was so upset that I had chosen to study art. I was stuck at a job that I hated and never thought that people would really get my work, or that I would ever be able to pay my bills with it.

In the end I am so glad that I took that leap, because I really love what I do, and in the end I am so glad that I decided to pursue what I really loved...

I think you should really go for it though. What if you got accepted? Just think about all of the great opportunities and friends that await you :)

When I was going to PSU there was a great book arts residency that took place at the Oregon Coast. It was called Haystack. I don't know if you are interested in book arts, but that might be something to look into.

Anyway, do it Janice. Don't underestimate yourself. 80 programs does seem very intimidating, but just take it one at a time.

tangled sky studio said...

i've had all these same questions and doubts over the years... especially the "i didn't go to art school thing" (english major here) but these days i think the field is much more open and with the growing network on-line connections and careers are being built outside the traditional gallery circuit. i think you should apply for some of the residency programs that appeal to you and see what happens...the world has a way of giving us what we need but we have to be open to the possibilities...too many people live with the question what if???

Janice La Verne said...

michelle and beth and alice thank you for your words. i'm going to go to the coast this weekend and try to think through the artist statement thing and make some decisions about which programs to apply to and do it!

i do go along in my way of thinking and being, deciding what i think about something by rote...

expansion?? i think so.

i was really bummed by my thoughts, but feel much better now.

thank you, janice

dean said...

you will have to write some kind of artist's statement or explain why you want and deserve this residency in an essay of some sort. personally, i believe you have a very good chance of getting a residency with your honest open writing--about your life--about your dreams. go for it. please. l, dean

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.