
Oh my gosh! Tonight I attended my first ever women's roller derby event. One of my co-workers told me a few months ago that she was on a women's roller derby team and my interest was sparked. I remember being a little kid and watching women's roller derby on TV. What those women were doing, crashing and bashing was sooo far from my ongoing pressure to be a "lady".
The shorter woman in the photo above is my work buddy. And can she skate!!! Her team is the Andromedolls. They battled two other teams, the Flat Track Furies , and (I love this name) Church of Sk8in.
Fishnet hose are part of the uniform, along with names like: "Betty Aim Fire", "Supercake 3/4 cup", "Ambruisia 959", "Burnadeath 451 F", Darra-lict44", and on and on. It's this wild combination of sport (these women can skate), theater, and irreverent humor. Everyone, including me seemed to be having a good time.
Poor Ginger she didn't get to go. Her knee/leg is worse. We spent Friday eve at the Emergency Room. She got out of the van, stepped down and could no longer bear weight. So she's on crutches until she has an MRI this week. The MD says it could be many things. She's mostly laying in bed looking at movies.
Women's roller derby... what would Gloria Steinhem say? I hope she would think it was as strong, funny, and powerful as I did.
Thanks for going with me L. And it was great seeing A. and L. there too.

1 comment:
looks like fun!
glad to hear your on the veggie train janice (it's not so hard is it?)
how is the bathroom coming along?
have you been doing any more printmaking?
beth
Post a Comment