Friday, September 12, 2008

Scary Painting


I finally finished this painting while at the coast last weekend. I've been working on it for months. It's the kind of painting that A) I don't like and B) would not have showed to others in the past. BUT... why not? why not show the scary, ugly paintings? Sometimes I paint paintings that I HATE, but I really need to finish them. They are usually paintings with a lot of happy circus colors and a really sinister undertone. Sometimes I look at these paintings a few years later and kinda like them. I think I learn a lot from these struggles. 

There are a couple parts that I think are cool like the see through legs of the children, and the little swirls in Tyra Banks dress. 

The best feedback I had about this painting was when a friend who hasn't known me long picked it up in my studio, walked up to me and said: "ok, explain this". I just laughed. If I knew what it all meant I probably wouldn't paint it.

Feedback appreciated. I swear you won't hurt my feelings. 

Tomorrow is the Eugene Celebration Parade and I'm marching with the greyhound folks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's always exciting to open your blog and see your art. I love it! What I love about your art is that it has a beautiful look and yet keeps you looking deeper. Tyra, and the colors are fun and light. The ghouls are toned down by the pleated skirt. It's a kick. Not scary but entertaining. You also have that sci-fi side. Oh now I need to go back and look some more. Love you, Toby

Michele Maule said...

I think that this painting is awesome. I don't particularly like the painting itself, but I love that you finished a painting that you knew was less than great, and you showed it to people on the internet I think that in itself is really cool.

When Michael started going to Cranbrook, the first piece of advice that he got from his instructor was to make a bunch of paintings that a) he knew he wouldn't like and b) never show them to anyone. He did, and it was a great exercise in that it made him stop trying so hard to please other people visually.

I think that this painting is really funny, and I don't know you very well, but I feel like it somehow shows your sense of humor. Painting can be taken too seriously sometimes, and I really like when people insert their sense of humor into it.

Sorry, this is getting really long! Anyway, great job! :)

tangled sky studio said...

hi janice,
it's exciting to put things out there to see what reaction they get (and brave). i don't really like tyra's head...i think it's too specific and defines the whole painting. if you were to paint a head on the beast i actually think it becomes a pretty cool piece of art.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.