Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Final Class Project


Our final class project is to make 15 art-o-mat pieces. If you have never gone to the art-o-mat website you are in for a treat. (www.artomat.org) It's really fun to look at all the creative things that artists do with such a restricted format. The art-o-mat is made up of all these refurbished cigarette machines that are stocked with original art. They are located mostly on the east coast, many in museums. Artists submit work that is the size of a cigarette pack, either a block of wood like mine in the photo above, or a piece of art contained in a box, again cigarette pack sized. Our community college is lucky enough to have an art-o-mat and it's really fun to put in your 5 dollars and pull the handle and get art!

Our project is an exchange... I'm doing xerox transfers from my coaster project. Then I'll paint and embellish them... 

Another topic... since I had such a twit about applying for an artist residency I decided to just make my own time in January. I'm taking two weeks off and going to do some structured projects and get our garage all set up for printmaking. 

Oh well, as usual I have to go to bed, off to work tomorrow...

3 comments:

kristin said...

art-o-mats are where miss L. started selling her dress paintings! i can't wait to see

tangled sky studio said...

what an awesome idea...i'll have to check out the chicago one next time i'm downtown. i'm off to try mixwit...

Michele Maule said...

When I was still at Portland State we tried to get an art-o-mat on campus. I can't remember why it fell through...

It's a great idea!

I think taking those two weeks of in January is a great idea. Can't wait to see what you make :)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.