Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Desire




Have you ever coveted something that seemed to all other eyes to be quite unlike you? Something that met a basic need rooted in a perception of those who belong? Such is the saga of myself and the holiday sweaters.
For the last couple years I have looked for a holiday sweater. It had to have sparkles and be a bit tasteful (does that even exist!), and look like a ticket into another world. I'd look off and on, but didn't want to pay full retail price for such an item.
Ebay has two categories for such sweaters: holiday sweaters and ugly holiday sweaters. No surprise the merchandise is the same for each.
Then, last Monday Ginger and I hit the big time. My favorite thrift store must have just put out all the holiday merchandise. There, in front of us were 2 racks of sweaters to choose from. Oh Joy, Oh Abundance. I am now the proud owner of 2 sweaters and one vest, gaudy and bright.
I feel like I am about 6 and I get to wear my Halloween costume to school.
I'm wrapped up in feeling happy.
It's hard to explain... sometimes you just have to go with your desires.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you didn't! My niece hosts the Uglyest Christmas Sweaters party. My sister in law is a 2nd grade teacher and so the are mandatory. The kids were borrowing from her. the winner was one that lights up. So I'm sure I can do email entries on your behalf. Proud to say I don't own one....mercy

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, the above commentary is from Mona. I did have a sweatshirt once, that said get your ......reindeer off my roof. Mona

Unknown said...

Wow, how fun is that? I like the grey one best.
S

tangled sky studio said...

the grey gets my vote too but the kindergarten analogy is making them all ok with me...you go girl!

beth

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.