I think I am done with this duo of white haired men
.
What is more interesting is the question that of course I want to ask...
"IS IT GOOD OR DOES IT SUCK?" (quote from Lynda Barry)
which translates into...
"AM I A GOOD ARTIST OR DO I SUCK?"
Reassurance is like bad hand lotion, it helps a little and then just evaporates.
Praise feels soooo good and I think we all need it,
but the absence of it can render one immobile.
And why am I doing this anyway? I don't think it's to get praised, or I would have to hire someone to follow me around the studio telling me how great I am.
I like questions. Questions seem to help.
L's question often is: "Does it do what you want it to do?"
(Many times I answer that I have no idea what I want the painting to do!)
Sometimes, I get an answer...
Right now I'm working on a painting where there is not enough "treasure". I must add more!
Ging is most often my helper.
The questions I ask her are simple:
"What do you like about the painting?"
"What don't you like?"
I'm loving reading the Lynda Barry book.
Today I read a chapter on working when you don't know what to do.
Let's all ask lots of questions...
What do you ask your paintings, writings, photos, art?

3 comments:
I am always drawn to the work from you that seems to have more of your hand in it than the reproduction of already printed material, or previously printed material that is the main focus.
How do you want me to see the printed material from other sources, I get confused? Do you want me to like it as much as you do?
What is very exciting about everything you are doing is how you layer the space. You always place your people (and even when they aren't people, they are people) in complex space. Are the people transparent? Are they fleeting? Are they moving? Are they disturbing the space around them?
These twin guys are moving, to me. They are moving physically, going from left to right out of the picture frame and moving emotionally as being somewhat challenged people; or maybe, they aren't twins maybe it is the same person running.
The color is wonderful in the twin picture--no confusing. The color lets the man be the main focus and yet has a presence all its own.
L&ksssss
Addendum:
What do I ask the work?
Is there enough there to keep going to the next one?
Yes, you are both an artist and a great woman. So, that makes you a great woman artist.
I think the man looks like Al Sharpton trying to play like he is Miles Davis. How's that for convoluted? Mona
Post a Comment