It shouldn't be difficult, applying for an artist residency. You just fill out the application and send in your work.
I'm sending off my first application for an artist residency and taking this action has made me a bit nuts... I remain logical and excited for a while and then logic flies and I am obsessing about every art deficit I have.
Logical:
1. My work is good and getting better.
2. I want to go somewhere for a month, just to make art.
Illogical:
1. I'm not good enough for a bunch of reasons: and then I go through the litany: no shows, no degrees, too old... and then I am back in kindergarten once again having colored in the turtle the wrong way. And... I feel AWFUL.
Usually at this point I back down, but right now it feels important to see this through. This is all about "something", because my reaction doesn't match the situation. It's just an application to a place I know nothing about and yet acceptance or rejection determines my self worth? So... it's worth doing just to get over this illogical stuff and move forward. Once I finish this application I think I'll do ten more. Then I will have mastered (maybe) this bit of insecurity which would be very nice.
Art insecurity... anyone else succumb to this virus now and again?

5 comments:
facing fears and doubts is always a good thing to do--always. and nothing worth doing is ever easy. i do go through this and will again. playing music in front of strangers is terrifying but i keep on trying--have some success and some humiliating failures, but i have to go through it--and will again.
ps--can't tell you how excited i am about you guys coming to florida, and maybe alligator point--mom's excited to come over here too (if you guys can do it).
Janice, The reason you colored in the turtle "the wrong way" is because you are so incredibly more creative than everyone else who did it "the right way". Good luck, H
As Manny's favorite, late brother, use to say, "Don't let nutin but fear stop you".
I know you'll do well, unless you make other plans.
Missed you, Mona
I'm so proud of you for submitting that residency proposal! One of those what-have-you-got-to-lose things. Nuthin to it but to do it. Except I know it was a lot of work getting it together. And your work is just getting better and better. I'm inspired. Thank you, Rakar P.S. I love the Olive O. painting and all the ones you got from riding the bus.
Post a Comment