Saturday, August 8, 2009

Lynda Barry Lecture



This cartoon says it all...

Last night we went to a packed lecture/show/performance by Lynda Barry.
If you EVER get the chance to hear her speak jump on it, she was beyond good.
She was promoting her book: What It Is which I cannot describe but can say it'll be a huge help to anyone doing anything creative.

Here are a couple quotes:

“What is an image?” I think it’s the thing that is contained by anything adults call the arts and kids call playing. And I would even call it a living thing. An image isn’t alive in the way you and I are alive, but it’s certainly not dead either. It’s something in-between that exists in this odd place I call the image world. It’s where Scrooge and Batman are, and Emily Dickinson’s poems, and also the thing that a toy contains for the kid who is attached to it. I don’t think human beings can exist without this image world, I think it has an absolute biological function, and I think that function is related to, among other things, mental health.

“Remember hearing that if you wanted to be a musician, you had to start when you were 4 years old?” she asks. “I remember being 10 years old and thinking, dang, it’s too late. We feel like we have to leave these things to the professionals,” she continues, “like Jessica Simpson.”

1 comment:

dean said...

i love lynda berry--i think linda hall introduced me to her work. would really love to hear her speak--maybe she'll come to tallahassee.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.