Why silkscreen? Why take this class?
1. Silkscreening is fun. It's gushy and wet and immediate.
2. It's fairly lo tech and not hard to learn.
3. It lends itself to layers over layers with surprising results.
4. The color can be flat and opaque or transparent layers that create new colors.
5. You can build up a "library" of transparencies (images) that you can combine over and over in new ways.
Our teacher Jane told us that silkscreen has been the "low life" of printmaking and has always been looked down upon as not really a legit art media. No matter. Our teacher has been making silkscreen prints for 30 years along with other art.
I barely made it through my workweek I am so tired from my Santa Cruz wild, fun, time.
More soon. I don't feel too coherent tonight, but the glow is still there!

No comments:
Post a Comment