Motivation:
Michele's post about motivation inspired me to think about what motivates me...
1. There is the motivation called: "if I don't make art right now I will explode". This is the kind of motivation I feel when I have not been in my studio for a couple weeks. It has a lot of energy behind it, but doesn't seem to create a sustained effort. During this time off I had this energy for the first couple days and then started drifting into this place of "what am I doing?".
2. Motivation is easier to come by when I do something artistic each day regardless. Then i don't lose my thread. This way my ideas continue to flow. Carrying a sketchbook all the time really helps. Drawing in odd moments, sitting in the doctor's office, on the bus, waiting for Ginger. And it feels good to keep my drawing skills "up".
3. I'm getting from Kristin and Michele that structure helps a lot, making a plan. I think for the most part progress just doesn't "happen". I think when I return to work I will make my art plans more concrete each day. And I think it's ok to make a plan that just says "mess around in the studio" , and just do anything.
4. Music motivates me big time. It creates energy.
5. Reading an art book or magazine gets me going.
5. I think seeing what others are doing motivates me. Taking a class, reading a blog, hanging out with art friends cutting and pasting...
6. My studio motivates me. I love my studio. It's right off the living room and I can just step in any time I want to. I love all my "stuff"

No comments:
Post a Comment