Saturday, January 3, 2009

Work begets work


Work begets work. This is something one of my teachers used to say. And it's true. I remember something about a teacher who told half his class they would get an "A" based on how much work they produced, the other half only had to turn in one piece, but it would be judged on how good it was. Of course the half that did lots of work got better...


I "mess" and "mess". I take little pieces of paper and work until they make sense or get shredded.


And, even in the dark of winter when I am dragging around not wanting to do anything this activity makes me feel good, and alive.


So, my rules are:
1. Work begets work
2. Work when you are depressed
3. Ignore the internal critic or praiser, she may or may not be right.
4. Scribble
5. It's better to push it and wreck it than leave it incomplete.

I wonder what your art rules are, do you have any? I'd love to hear them.
P.S. this isn't finished work, just examples of how I work on stuff.


and Shell belle, hi!!! so glad you read my blog. ily.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"work begets work" words i have always lived by. a book about process in art "art and fear" goes into great detail about this theory. THANKS FOR PICKING UP MYDAY!!!
nate

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm 60 years old, live with my girlfriend of 25 years and two amazing animals: Monty the greyhound,and Oscar the multi-toed cat. This blog is one way to keep in touch with all the people I love in this world.